YES…. It’s still a good idea to ask your girlfriend’s father for her hand in marriage! And maybe include your girlfriend’s mother. According to The Knot, “83% of women like their dad to be asked beforehand, and 25% would like their mom included as well”.
A few tips of advice…
· When? Is this a good time to get married? How long have you known each other? Put yourself in your girlfriend’s father shoes, do you think he will say yes?
· Where? Invite them out to lunch or schedule a time to visit at their home. Consider if you want your girlfriend there? RingShot-Says…”maybe not a good idea”.
· What to say (and how to look)? In advance, think about what you are going to say and any objections they may have. RingShot-Says…..”LOOK GOOD, cleanliness and nice cloths will go a long way”!
· How? Most likely, they will know why you are there and have probably already run a background check on you…. Take a minute, gather yourself, and speak from your heart. Tell them WHY you love their daughter, your short and long term intentions, you know this is a serious step and you have thought about it carefully. Give them the opportunity to think about it for a few days, but tell them you would like to ask her soon.
· Just in case? If they say “no”, ask them why, calm their fears, and hope they change their minds…